Correct answer is C. Ireland. To keep away spirits and ghosts, it was common in Ireland to place candies in hollowed-out turnips.
2. What is the meaning of the word "hallow" in relation to this holiday?
A. Witch B. Saint C. Candy D. Winter
Correct answer is B. Saint. The Catholic holiday of All Saints Day falls on the last day of October with celebrations for harvest and coming of winter.
3. A popular Halloween candy in the USA, what was the first penny candy to be individually wrapped for sale? A. Hershey Kisses B. Tootsie Rolls C. Peppermint sticks D. Bit-O-Honey
Correct answer is B. Tootsie Rolls The candy was first produced in 1896 and was the first penny candy to be individually wrapped.
4. The ancient Celts believed that evil spirits were roving the countryside on Halloween night. What did they do to protect themselves? A. Burned candy and fruit in a bonfire B. Bobbed for apples C. Wore masks and costumes D. Went door to door giving out treats
Correct answer is C. Wore masks and costumes The ancient Celts wore costumes with masks so evil spirits would not recognize them as humans.
5. All of these celebrities were born on Halloween except one; which one does not belong on the list? A. Michael Landon B. River Phoenix C. John Candy D. Dan Rather
Correct answer is B. River Phoenix All of the men were born on October 31 except for River Phoenix, who died of an alleged drug overdose on Halloween in 1993.
6. There is an old belief that it is good luck to see which of the following
Chat with Authors
As a boy I read Somerset Maugham... I imagined myself on a hill in the Mediterranean writing a great novel... I do write on a...
I was an awkward, lonely, little girl. Books were my company. I started reading early, and began making up fantastical stories when I was quite...
My grandfather. For as long as I can remember, my Papa has told stories. I knew I wanted to tell stories too, just like my...
Reading books and listening to song lyrics from a young age inspired me, and like all writers, I write on the backs of every author...
Hop on Lenka's List Bandwagon
Welcome to this edition of Words For Thought , the blog on wordrefiner.com . Like many of the previous blogs we are looking at homophones.
https://www.gofundme.com/teamfistbump Note: All underlined words are links to the sites I am currently discussing. Team Fist Bump (#teamfistbump) is on a mission: These journals are
Periodically, ForeignCorrespondent participates in virtual book tours that allow authors to showcase their books to a broader audience. Today I am hosting fellow RRBC/RWISA author